Tuesday, October 24, 2017

10-18-17 Nong Khai Thailand Transfers Elder Smith


Hey hey there Dad!



So this last week we went to Loei! That was a blast. We saw some mountains, and went to a cool Rock Garden (it sounds a little strange but just look at the pictures and you'll know how cool it looked!) in the same province. I know that I have a lot of pictures to upload, and sorry for the quick email last week! The entire trip there and back we played a game called Mafia, so that was fun! It wasn't actually mafia, but it was pretty similar! I found out there that I'm a horrible liar... So I guess I won't be lying for the rest of my life, hahaha. The pictures that I uploaded will probably do more to explain than anything else.



So this last week has been great on getting new investigators! We've been going to one area that we're pretty sure not a ton of missionaries have gone before, except maybe if they were of a different faith... So we've met a ton of people who have been prepared to hear the word of the Gospel! We have a lot of solid investigators now, so we're pretty busy when we make our way over there! 



So as far as transfers go the news is...



I'm staying! I'll be here in Nong Khai for another transfer. However, Elder V. will be moving back to one of his old areas, Bang Khen, so he can have a peaceful passing into the next (phase of) life. I'm glad I'll get to work hard here for another transfer! It will be a ton of fun!



So what does that leave me with? I can't exactly just go and be a solo missionary here in Nong Khai, that's not how this works! So... I will be receiving someone who is younger than me into this area! His name is Elder ------.... I don't actually know. When I got transfer calls they didn't tell me, because usually they don't when you train a missionary coming from the MTC! So that says it all: I'm training this transfer. Honestly, over these last couple of days, I've noticed a lot of things I need to work on, and I will have to do a lot of things without the guidance/experience of a senior companion. I have a fair idea of what to do but... we'll see about that! 



In Preach My Gospel Chapter 4, which talks about the Holy Ghost, there is a quote that I really love which has given me some encouragement and hope in the last 24 hours since transfer calls: 



"As the Lord’s servant, you are to do His work in His way and by His power. Some missionaries feel confident that they know how to be successful. Others lack such confidence. Remember, however, that your confidence and faith should be in Christ, not in yourself. Rely on the Spirit rather than your own talents and abilities. Trust the Spirit to guide you in every aspect of your work."



There are plenty of scriptures in D&C which tell us about how our mouths will be filled, and we will be blessed with "sheaves" as well participate in this great work. I know the Spirit will guide me as I trust in God, in Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost to lead and guide me.



The work is great, and life is good! I'm truly happy here, and I know that I'm out here to serve with all of my heart, might, mind and strength. I intend to do just that. I love the work and I love Thailand! The people here are so great, and the Lord is blessing us greatly. I'm grateful to be on a mission, and serve the Lord for these short two years!



Love you! Talk to you soon!



--

- Elder Collin Decker

Thailand, Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment