Wednesday, October 11, 2017

10-8-17 Nong Khai Thailand




General Conference and Exploring in Loei (Nong Khai Week 11)



Hey there Dad!



Wow, that's a scary experience! Cars are pretty scary to be honest, especially when things start going wrong... I'm glad that you're safe!



Sorry, we're actually still in the province of Loei, so I don't actually have any time to send anything other than a big email to you, and probably to Mom, Kaleb, and Kai, maybe. So, this one will be loaded.



This last week has been a good last week! We found lots of new investigators for this last week, and have a lot of good potential investigators that we can go visit later this week. Lots of them are over by a strong member's house (actually two of them). So on this Thursday, we have a dedicated day just to going out and visiting them, and teaching them after we complete our weekly planning session. We have about 4-5 people over there who we have not yet been able to teach, but will the opportunity to teach them based on their interest. So if that is the case, it will be a good way to kick it into gear for next transfer that is coming soon! Some of our older investigators will be receiving dates as soon as we can meet with them again, which will definitely be this week. Well, receiving an invitation to be baptized on a certain date, but its really up to them if they accept.



This transfer I realize that I haven't really been keeping good track of my investigators for everyone to hear about, so I'll just apologize for that here. Anyways, the reason I say that is because we had a baptism this last Sunday! Her name is Sister Ran, and she was contacted by Elder V. in the very first week we were here in Nong Khai. We've been working with her ever since then, and she lives really close to the Elder's house here, so that's really convenient for us. We've been teaching her for several weeks on end, and in the end, she committed to being baptized after she slowly received a testimony of the Gospel, and of Jesus Christ! We're still helping her, of course, but it was nice to see someone be baptized after 3 months of working hard here in this area. It was especially nice to see someone who changed their lives for the better, and is currently embracing the Gospel more and more. So, that happened!



Otherwise, it was General Conference, so I was glad to have been able to see and hear all of it! I would have to say that my favorite talk from Conference was from Elder Holland, about "Be Ye Therefore Perfect... Eventually". I realize that pride is sometimes, or more often than sometimes, a problem on my part, in lots of little things, and some big things. I've been trying really hard to act humble, but when I get hurt feelings over little things, I realize that it is because I am carrying around a little too much pride. I've been reading President Uchtdorf's talk from last General Conference given in the Priesthood Session, and also "Beware of Pride" which was given by President Ezra Taft Benson. Those have been helping me to pinpoint my weaknesses and work on them but... Pinpointing my own weaknesses is a little hurtful sometimes. Just realizing that I do have those weaknesses (another element of pride?). But, as said in Ether 12:27 - 



"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
 

So, sometimes, we need to be humbled in order to see the hand of God. Blessed are those who are humble without being compelled to be so as well. I've been trying really hard to humble myself a lot more. While actions or words may not show it, feelings and thoughts also are a factor, and the Spirit does not work with our pride so long as we try to elevate ourselves. We have to serve for the right reasons and the Lord will grant us success according to our righteous works and desires. I know God's grace is sufficient for me, and sufficient for everyone that humble themselves before him.



So the reason I loved Elder Holland's talk was because I sometimes have the illusion that I need to be perfectly brave and bold, saying everything that the Lord puts into my thoughts, and acting on every impression that comes my way. While that is a worthwhile goal, it is also very hard to attain, so sometimes I become, more or less, stressed and anxious about trying to be "the perfect missionary". Everyone knows there is no such thing as a perfect missionary, and I know that as well. Everyone is progressing, and trying to improve in one way or another. I have my weaknesses, much like everyone else. So Elder Holland's advice in his talk was especially hopeful for me, and helped to refocus on just trying to be better.



On a different note however: The quest for improvement does not allow room for laziness nor does it provide room for saying "that was good enough. I'm good enough now. I'm trying, and I don't need to set my goals that high." I cannot accept that. In Preach My Gospel, it says that our success is measured by our commitment to the work, or so to speak. I believe we show our commitment when we honestly desire to do everything that is within our power to live up to that commitment, to live up to Heavenly Father's expectations, and to help the people that we love (which should be everyone as a missionary!). We do not set our bar for just a "great goal". We set it for the "best goal". And, when we are firmly committed to doing everything in our power to live up to that "best goal", only then do I feel that we can say "I'm trying, and Heavenly Father knows I'm trying. I still have room to improve, but Heavenly Father will forgive me for, and help me with, my own shortcomings." So, as hard as it may be, or possibly unrealistic, I am honestly trying to be a "Consecrated Missionary" who is willing to do anything for the Lord. I know that as I am striving to be so, the Lord will bless me. I honestly desire to help these people escape from the awful clutches of sin, and be able to felt the joy that I have felt numerous times when I have repented. I want them to have the hope that there is a God, who is our Heavenly Father, that has restored the true Church of Jesus Christ through his holy prophets and apostles, and that God can provide anything they need for them, and wants what is absolutely the best for them. That's my desire, and that's why I know that I need to improve, and really try to become a "Consecrated Missionary" who is willing to put everything out for the Lord. Indeed, serve with all of my heart, might, mind, and strength.



In otherwise, I am in Loei right now! It's been fun, and we went to go see a mountain, which is said to be a sea of fog, so I'll make sure to get those up later! We're still going to go to other places so it will continue to be fun!



All right, looks like that's it! I love you lots Dad! Tell everyone else that I love them as well! I don't actually have time to email everyone... but I'll be sure to email everyone on Wednesday, October 18th! I love the people, I love the Lord, and I love the work! I have never been more happy in my life, and that's a fact! (Except for a couple times at home, but otherwise...) Being a missionary is awesome, and I know that God is looking out for us and loves us all! I'll talk to you next week!



- Elder Collin Decker


No comments:

Post a Comment