Thursday, December 21, 2017

12-17-17 Nong Khai Thailand











Hey hey there Dad!

So this last week was Zone Conference here in the Udorn Zone! Just on Friday and Saturday. But before that, the rest of the week. We had a miracle in finding one of our old investigators who disappeared a little while ago. Couldn't contact him, couldn't find him at home. But now, we found out that we could meet with him at his home in the late evenings, which is perfect because there is nothing to do in the late evening around here in Nong Khai... besides wander around some neighborhoods and try to talk to people in their homes! (but we can't actually knock or ring doorbells so we just yell to get them outside... hahaha.) I haven't actually knocked on a single door yet... but we might try sometime! We're trying to talk with everyone after all!

Also, for the entire Ward back home, thank you for sending me that letter. It really means a lot to me to know that there are people at home who are praying for me, and missionaries everywhere! But more importantly, the people we are teaching, that they might taste of that sweet fruit from the tree of life. Life is great as a missionary. Life is great indeed, especially as members of the Church, and living according to the restored truth.

Zone Conference was Christmas themed this year! It was really fun. Went to do interviews on Friday (didn't happen unfortunately because of a special meeting that President Johnson had to do to). Everyone else but us and a few other companionships went, but it's all good. It was lots of fun! We had a white elephant gift exchange that night as well! My white elephant gift was really lame because I thought the limit was 30 baht so I got something that was 35 baht but bartered it down to 30... so sad! But I got a Thai-Issan Dictionary, so that was really fun! From my good friends in Lao, the "English Teachers" over there, including one of my old companions Former Elder Johnson (Former because he's just an English Teacher in Lao). We, here in Nong Khai, help the English teachers in Lao whenever they come over, or they need important documents delivered, so it's a ton of fun on somedays when they come over and we get to help them out. Helps bring a good change to the pace of the day.

Back to Zone Conference: We also received gifts as a mission! Just some small gifts, but it included a tree ornament, which was really cool. I missed out last year, but hey, not everyone can be in the MTC for Christmas, so that was a lot of fun! But we also finally got our phones that we bought, and bartered for... I finally got to see my phone, and it looks better than I thought! Now, there are lots of application controls and the whole bit, so it's pretty safe, and I'm thankful for that, but it definitely has the potential to be a huge time waster if we're not disciplined in our use of it. We both individually get a phone, but I'm the one who gets the SIM card... hahaha. So only I can make phone calls and send out texts. No Facebook or Line yet, but coming soon! Right now, we're just trying to get a hang of the planner on our phones. At the very least, we're trying to use it! A little different and it's not like writing, but I can use the microphone to write notes so I might forget how to write altogether... time to start keeping a journal (again!) (in Thai too!). Our crazy 2nd counselor in the Mission Presidency was Santa who gave us those gifts. I love him so much, way funny. Just can't take yourself too seriously around him for sure.

Saturday, we watched "The Best Two Years" in the morning while eating milk and cookies. Way fun and way good. It was funny to watch for the first time and especially as a missionary. Everything seems to make sense about what they're saying... definitely something I will rewatch at a later date, hahaha. Then we played some fun games after that with everyone in the Zone, including President and Sister Johnson. They also took pictures+videos, so those should be up on the mission Facebook I think. Then we received some training from President Johnson, which talked about finding new investigators and what we should be doing. Really great, and I know how I can work even better now.

I really love being a missionary. I really do. It's sad to think about, but this will be my one and only Christmas as a missionary in Thailand. But it's all in the Lord's timing. We're here to grow, and become closer to God, and in doing so, help others to do the same. One scripture I really liked from a recent personal study this week is this:

in JST Matthew 16:

25 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me.

26 And now for a man to take up his cross, is to deny himself all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, and keep my commandments.

I know that as we serve God with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength, yielding our hearts up unto God, and denying ourselves of all ungodliness, we'll become closer to our Heavenly Father, to becoming even better than we were before. Let us all remember to look unto the Savior, especially at this time of year. I know the Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior of the World, the Prince of Peace. He indeed is the Master Healer. He loves us, and so does our Heavenly Father. I know this season is a time of joy and happiness. I wish the same for everyone, especially for Kaleb, Kai and Mom, and those in our family! I love you all!

I'll talk to you soon! Take care and have fun!

- Elder Collin Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment