Sunday, October 21, 2018

7-29-18 Samut Sakhon


Hey there Dad!



The​ firepit looks nice. The house looks a lot different since I have left... For sure.



This​ week has been... Fairly uneventful. We had a switch off though so that was pretty cool. We found a lot of new investigators all in that one day. Way cool, and way exciting! I was with the District Leader Elder Ellsworth. He's also from Washington, though he's on the Eastside. He also went to the Eason Invitstional in Yakima in track, so we're already pretty สนิท👍👌.



Other​wise we had our interviews with President Hammond the other day as well, which was a lot of fun. We got to know him a little better, and him, us. But he's a lot different from President Johnson, as I expected. But I know that they're both inspired for sure.



One thing that I've learned this past week is the role of the Holy Ghost.​We've been trying to really focus on helping our investigators recognize and understand the Holy Ghost.​ It's tough even for us. But somethings that I have learned are:



The Spirit sanctifies us and when we feel the Spirit, we know we are clean, we are worthy. The Spirit does not dwell in unholy tabernacles, so when we feel the Spirit, mostly in our day to day activities (praying, studying the Scriptures, inviting, at home, work, or school), we know that the Lord is with us.



In another thought is this: think about a time that the Spirit wasn't with you. Compare that time with now. Do you feel the Spirit when you take the Sacrament? When you watch general conference. And then decide if you are feeling the Spirit.



Elder​ Ted R. Callister said it this way:



"When I served as mission president, missionaries often asked these two questions: (1) How do I know when I am forgiven of my sins? and (2) If I am forgiven, why do I still feel guilt?

   When asked those questions, I usually responded by saying, “If you feel the Spirit—when you pray, read the scriptures, teach, testify, or at any other time—then that is your witness that you have been forgiven or, alternatively, that the cleansing process is taking place, for the Spirit cannot dwell in an unholy tabernacle” (see Alma 7:21). In most cases the cleansing process takes time because our change of heart takes time, but in the interim, we can proceed with the confidence that God approves of our progress as manifested by the presence of His Spirit."



This is in the Liahona so I can't dispute this one. 



Well then what about our investigators? Then can certainly receive a witness about the truth but they need to understand what entails by following that witness. It will tell them that this is a good thing, that it is the right path, but not necessarily help them learn as much as what a member of the Church would. (Think about the Isaiah Chapters in the Book of Mormon, how could anyone understand them without the Spirit?). It will make them feel good, but only give receiving and confirmation of the things that they read are true. They can feel the influence but they are not entitled to the Gift of the Spirit.



I have felt the Spirit guide to strange paths to find a new investigator, to help someone, to pray, to ask a certain question, to bear my testimony with power. I feel like I have gained a small understanding of what it means to have the Spirit to be with me always. It doesn't feel hollow, or bad, or sad, but comforts, feels joyful, and feels like light within your soul. The Spirit will confirm to you about its presence in your life if you seek diligently. It will guide your every step, even if you're not conscious of it. I know the Spirit has been guiding me or I don't think we could have seen so many miracles in my mission. I love the Lord. The Lord is good. The Lord is merciful, but also just. Be worthy, and reap those rewards, or follow an unworthy path, and reap the wages of the one who we follow.



I know that God loves us. The Spirit will always guide us as we try our absolute best to be perfect. I know the Jesus Christ died for our sins, and we can be clean and have the Spirit to be with us because of Him. I love this Church, I love Thailand. The Lord has been so good to me. I pray that everyone I ever knew could come unto the Gospel, but all in the Lord's time. 



Love you lots! Keep fighting and keep going! Have fun and be safe!



- Elder Collin Decker



No comments:

Post a Comment